Get Even Review


16005219

Title: Get Even
Author: Gretchen McNeil
The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars in Gretchen McNeil’s witty and suspenseful novel about four disparate girls who join forces to take revenge on high school bullies and create dangerous enemies for themselves in the process.

Bree, Olivia, Kitty, and Margot have nothing in common—at least that’s what they’d like the students and administrators of their elite private school to think. The girls have different goals, different friends, and different lives, but they share one very big secret: They’re all members of Don’t Get Mad, a secret society that anonymously takes revenge on the school’s bullies, mean girls, and tyrannical teachers.

When their latest target ends up dead with a blood-soaked “DGM” card in his hands, the girls realize that they’re not as anonymous as they thought—and that someone now wants revenge on them. Soon the clues are piling up, the police are closing in . . . and everyone has something to lose.

 photo add-to-goodreads-button311_zpsdinxuku8.png 







Get Even follows Bree, Kitty, Olivia, and Margot who call themselves DGM. DGM stands for Don't Get Mad. It is a group they formed years ago when they were put together for a project at school and noticed that they had one thing in common. They all had some type of want for revenge. So, over the next few years, they would get their revenge on people they felt have done wrong. Bullies, bad teachers, you name it and the only thing they would leave was the cards that said DGM. Nobody knows who DGM. The girls stay away from each other in public and nobody has suspected them. That all changes when a new classmate is murdered and a DGM card was found at the crime scene. Bree, Olivia, Margot, and Kitty have to find out who did this while keeping their idenities secret, before it is too late.



Okay, this book reminded me a lot of the Burn for Burn books, though it had it's own twists to it. I have read her other book, Ten, and did enjoy it. I do like her writing.


What I Liked:


The Mystery. I love how you keep guessing at who did it. You never do have a definiate answer, because more clues about different people keep surfacing.


The Story. I am a big fan of Burn for Burn and this book has so many similarities. But overall, it is a different story and I really loved the story it told.


“A” like villain. So I haven't read Pretty Little Liars, but I do watch the TV show. This book has an A like villain and I really liked that about it. I have my guesses on who it is, but like with the PLL TV show, I am never entirely for sure.


John. I loved this character. Though at some points, I do suspect him as the guy doing this stuff, but then I am like, no way! This character was amazing.



What I Didn't Like:


Mind Reading. It seemed that everyone also knew what everyone else was thinking. One girl would think something and someone else would say it with no hints at it outside of her mind. It was just rather annoying.


POV. The point of view gets confused a lot. She didn't distinguish them very well and I spent a lot of the time wondering who I was reading.


Olivia's Hair. This really bugged me. At the start of the book she has a pixie cut, but that changes a few times in present day, throughout the book. A few times she will mention it being longer and then go back. I understand that they do tell stories in the past and it is fine for her to have long hair there, but not at a point where she is supposed to have a pixie cut.


Would I Recommend:

Yes, but I would probably recommend you read the Burn for Burn trilogy first and if you wanted more extremely similar to come back to this.

2 comments

  1. Its so similar to pretty little liars and I have to say I hated pretty little liars so I am not sure I am going to read this :/

    http://currentlyreadiing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've this book sitting on my shelf for a while now. I've been putting it off because the synopsis didn't really appeal to me. Might read it soon though. Loved your review.

    ReplyDelete