Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett Review

35297469
Title: Starry Eyes
Author: Jenn Bennett
Format: Audiobook
Ever since last year’s homecoming dance, best friends-turned-best enemies Zorie and Lennon have made an art of avoiding each other. It doesn’t hurt that their families are the modern-day Californian version of the Montagues and Capulets.

But when a group camping trip goes south, Zorie and Lennon find themselves stranded in the wilderness. Alone. Together.

What could go wrong?

With no one but each other for company, Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to hash out their issues via witty jabs and insults as they try to make their way to safety. But fighting each other while also fighting off the forces of nature makes getting out of the woods in one piece less and less likely.

And as the two travel deeper into Northern California’s rugged backcountry, secrets and hidden feelings surface. But can Zorie and Lennon’s rekindled connection survive out in the real world? Or was it just a result of the fresh forest air and the magic of the twinkling stars?






This is actually my first Jenn Bennett book *gasp*. I have Alex, Approximately on my shelf that I have been saying I will read for like ever now. And I just got approved for Chasing Lucky on netgalley, but wanted to read one of her other books first. This was on scribd. This is also on Kindle Unlimited right now.

Let me say this before I begin, I HATE camping. Everything about it. The idea of it, the doing it, the after thought of it. All of it. The day I don't have indoor plumbing is the day my world ends.

What I Liked:

  • Zorie and her mother's relationship - In the first chapter you find out Zorie's birth mother died when she was eight. But she calls her stepmother mom and she is basically her best friend. I love that they had this kind of relationship. It was nice to read.

  • Lennon - Just all of him. I love the fact that he is goth, because usually in YA it is the football player or someone from the "popular" crowd. Not Lennon. His sarcasm and dryness made the book a lot of fun. Especially at Brett's expense. I loved the fact that he knew what he was doing out in the woods, too. As I said above, I hate camping with every ounce of my being, but I wouldn't hate it as much if Lennon were there. 

  • The Writing/Flow - I listened to this book, so I didn't actually read the writing, but I enjoyed hearing the nicely constructed words read to me. It moved quickly. 

  • The Sex Shop/Lennon's Moms - I am grouping these together, because they kind of go hand in hand. I love the fact that his moms' owned a sex shop. Something you do not see in YA. And if you do it is skimmed over. Not this. You get to hear all about the dildo forest in the front window. And his moms' are always talking about pop culture and playing trivia. And I was right on every question!

  • The Great Experiment - This kind of goes with the writing. You hear reference to "The Great Experiment" at homecoming several times throughout the book and each time there is another detail sprinkled in about this. I love how the mystery of it kept me guessing until I finally got to see what actually happened. 

  • Learning About Nature - Actual survivalist stuff is in here. Like what to do if you find yourself face to face with a bear. I am from the mountains, so I know a thing or two about that, but for those who don't.

What I Didn't Like:

  • Secondary Characters - I didn't like the majority of them. Regan ( I think that was her name) and her dad were horrible. Hated the both of them. Her dad was a very flat and one sided character, that I would have liked to see more rounded. She tried to make Regan more rounded, but it didn't really work.

  • Zorie's Name - I just don't like this name. That is horrible to say and I am sorry if this is your name, but I just couldn't. 

  • Zorie's Character - This is, again, probably personal preference. And I did like Zorie once she got stuck in the woods, but not until then. I never understood why she even liked Brett. He is very stupid and obviously a "people pleaser" and she is so smart. And why she was even friends with Regan is beyond me. Again, this is YA and this is an adult's view, not a teenager.

  • Snakes - There is a scene in this book with a snake that made me scream and turn off the book for a good 10 minutes. Now that is great writing, but just no. I don't do snakes.



Overall I gave this a 3.5/5. Lennon really made this book for me. I did enjoy the adventure and the writing, but couldn't get past the secondary characters and Zorie's poor choices in who she liked.



Find Jenn Bennett online:

Buy Starry Eyes online:




No comments