Skyward by Brandon Sanderson Review

39348113. sy475
Title: Skyward
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Format: Audiobook
Spensa's world has been under attack for decades. Now pilots are the heroes of what's left of the human race, and becoming one has always been Spensa's dream. Since she was a little girl, she has imagined soaring skyward and proving her bravery. But her fate is intertwined with that of her father's—a pilot himself who was killed years ago when he abruptly deserted his team, leaving Spensa the daughter of a coward, her chances of attending Flight School slim to none.

No one will let Spensa forget what her father did, yet fate works in mysterious ways. Flight school might be a long shot, but she is determined to fly. And an accidental discovery in a long-forgotten cavern might just provide her with a way to claim the stars.







Spensa Nightshade, Callsign: Spin, has only had one dream her entire life. And that is to be a pilot like her father. That dream didn't stop when her father was deemed a coward for abandoning his flight in the most important battle of history. After that, it wasn't easy for Spin and her family. She was known as the coward's daughter and got into plenty of fights. When the test to make it into flight school comes, she is told by the admril herself that she will never allow Spin in. But when her father's old flightmate takes a chance on her, she finds herself in a class with a cast of other characters. But as she makes it into the sky she learns that she might not know the entire story and what happened to her father might happen to her.

I loved this book. This is hands down my favorite book of the past five years. This is my first full Sanderson novel and it was amazing. His writing is phenomenal and all of his characters were great.  I listened to this book and the voices made it. I don't think I would feel the way I do about this book if I hadn't listened to is. M-bot would have been less enjoyable, but probably still hilarious. M-bot, the ship the Spensa finds, is hands down my favorite character in this book.The character growth of our main character was amazing.

I did change my original star rating. It was a 5/5 and I changed it to 4, because as I wrote this I realized there are somethings I didn't like. Such as Spensa's attitude at the first. This is person opinion and like I said above, the character growth was amazing. It was just a bit too much at the first. I also didn't care for Jorgen. I know we weren't supposed to at first, his callsign being Jerkface. But at a point in the book he does something I find unforgivable to Spensa and I have a feeling that is going to be a love interest in the upcoming books and I can't forgive him for what he did, even if Spensa can.



Overall I gave this book 4/5 stars. I truly loved this book and the narration supplied in the audiobook. I docked a star because of how I felt about Jorgen and the romance that is most likely leading up to it.



Find Brandon Sanderson online:
Buy Skyward online:




No comments