Broken Symmetry Review




18334136


Sixteen-year-old Blaire Adams can walk through mirrors.

It’s called breaking symmetry. To her, a mirror feels like a film
of honey. She can reach through it, grab things…even step inside.

On the other side she lives every teenager’s fantasy: a universe all her own, zero consequences. She can kiss the hot guy, break into La Jolla mansions, steal things…even kill. When finished, she just steps back into reality and smashes the mirror—and in an instant erases every stupid thing she did. Gone. It never happened.

But breaking symmetry is also dangerous. First there’s the drug-like rush she gets when passing through the glass, like a shot of adrenaline. She suspects it’s degrading her body, making a new copy of her each time. A reflection of a reflection, each one a little hazier. Then, of course, there’s the risk of getting cut off from reality.

When she narrowly escapes a military quarantine zone with the San Diego Police Department hot on her heels only to discover her escape mirror littering the floor in shards, her worst fear is realized. Now, trapped in a broken reflection, she must flee through a mind-bending maze of mirrors, going deeper into the nightmare as she struggles to grasp a betrayal, uncover the chilling truth about her ability, and somehow find a way out of a dead-end universe that “never happened.”

Somehow, she must find a way home.





I will start off by saying that I really did like the overall story. The potential for this book was great! But I really wish he had spent more time revising it, because I felt like I was reading a draft instead of the final product. I am going to try to do this without any spoilers.

We will start with our main character Blaire. I understand she is a teenager, but even at that, this character is unbelievable. I know teenagers jump around with their emotions a lot, but this girl was ridiculous. She was a constant bitch to EVERYONE in the book and then for everyone just to love her and say how awesome and brave she was, when all she ever did was whine and complain was awful. There were also a lot of holes in her character. Like her feelings toward the situation with her dad all flies out the window when Damian enters the picture. You never find out what happens to the officer that was on her dad's case. There was just so much that could have been done to make this a better character. I got irritated with her easily and had to put the book down. It took me awhile to read this, because I couldn't stand Blaire.

Next is Amy. Amy was a character I think he was unfair to. He had Blaire and her hate each other from the get go, which I will admit, can happen with females. But Blaire never really looks at Amy as a human, if that makes sense. Dan Rix tries to get you to hate Amy, but I ended up feeling bad for her. It isn't fun when you are in love with a guy and some other girl just waltz right in and takes over.

Then comes Damian. This character is very flat, like many in this story. Damian is one of the main characters, so he should have been more rounded. Instead he came up very flat and very hard to connect with.

There were a lot of holes in the plot as well. SO many things that weren't followed up on and it seemed as if the author thought about doing something with and then just forgot about. And sometimes when explaining about crossovers it contradicted with what it had said at an earlier time.


Again, I did really like the idea for this book. It was something i had never read before. I just wish he had spent more time on it before publishing it. Because overall the idea and story were great. It was just little things that made it a 2.5 star book for me.

Please note that this is my opinion. You can have your own opinion. I am not saying that I could have written this book better and I am not saying that Dan Rix is a bad author.
 With that said:

What I liked:
- The idea of the story.

 What I didn't like:
 -Blaire's character.
-Characters were flat.
-All the things not followed up on.
-The errors in the writing.
-It got REALLY confusing at times and I wasn't sure what was happening.

 What I would change:
-All the things I didn't like.
-I would change the ending of the book.
-Change Amy's story in the book and the relationship she had with Blaire.

2 comments

  1. I love the cover and synopsis of this book-it would definitely be something I'm interested in reading. But the main character really puts me off.. I just can't stand to read about rude, bratty teenagers any more. Maybe I'm just getting old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover and synopsis opens for an amazing book. And this girl would be annoying to anyone, no matter that age, lol. It was just a bad character. I wouldn't recommend it. Thanks for stopping by!
      Brittney

      Delete