The Upside of Falling by Alex Light with Interview with Author

45891343
Title: The Upside of Falling 
Author: Alex Light
Format: Audiobook
It’s been years since seventeen-year-old Becca Hart believed in true love. But when her former best friend teases her for not having a boyfriend, Becca impulsively pretends she’s been secretly seeing someone.

Brett Wells has it all. Being captain of the football team and one of the most popular guys in school, he should have no problem finding someone to date, but he’s always been more focused on his future than who to bring to prom. When he overhears Becca’s lie, Brett decides to step in and be her mystery guy. It’s the perfect solution: he gets people off his back for not dating and she can keep up the ruse.

Acting like the perfect couple isn’t easy though, especially when you barely know the other person. But with Becca still picking up the pieces from when her world was blown apart years ago and Brett just barely holding his together now, they begin to realize they have more in common than they ever could have imagined. When the line between real and pretend begins to blur, they are forced to answer the question: is this fake romance the realest thing in either of their lives?






The most popular guy in your grade randomly kisses you and tells people you are dating. You have no choice but to go along with it, right? That is what happens to Becca when Brett swoops in to save her from her friend turned enemy that is bothering her about her dating life. But when the line between pretend and real starts to fade, will Becca’s outlook on love do the same?

This book started off on Wattpad as Rivals. You guys know I am a sucker for writers that started off on Wattpad, though I admit that hasn’t always turned out well for me in this past. This time it did, though. Going on this fun and sometimes heart wrenching journey with Becca and Brett was amazing. I got to do an interview with the author, Alex Light, and she mentioned one of the hardest things about transitioning her book from Wattpad to published book was the edits. The Wattpad book is a lot longer and she had to cut it down quite a bit. You can’t tell. I went in without reading the Wattpad book first and I could tell that it had ever been any different. With that being said, I do recommend going to Wattpad after you read this book and at least read the epilouge there. I also loved the friendship Becca had with Cassie and her mom.

I didn’t like how the issue in Brett’s family was handled. I don’t want to spoil anything, but there is an issue Brett has and I didn’t agree with how it was handled. This is most likely a personal thing and has nothing to do with the writing itself.



Overall I gave this 4 out of 5 stars. I would recommend this if you are looking for a fun, fast YA read.

Also a fun thing I did. I did an author interview with Alex Light. Here’s how that went:


 Interview with Alex Light
What was your inspiration for The Upside of Falling?
The Upside of Falling was actually based off a dream I had in 2016. I don't remember the details, but it involved getting some guy to be my fake date to a wedding, oddly enough. I couldn't get it out of my head and started writing TUOF the next morning. The story kind of poured out of me.


Which POV was your favorite to write and why?

I don't think I had a favorite. I loved writing from both Brett and Becca's perspective equally. Becca was definitely easier to write, though. I think a large part of that is because she's a girl, and I find her character to be more relatable to myself.


You started out on Wattpad and went from Wattpad Star to published author. What was that journey like?

The journey on Wattpad was CRAZY! It happened so fast that I think I'm still trying to process everything. TUOF was only published on there for a year before I received my book deal, and I owe a million thanks to the Wattpad team for believing in my book and making that possible.


If The Upside of Falling were to be made into a movie who would your dreamcast be?

That is such a hard question. I've always seen Becca being played as Lili Reinhart. For Brett... it's so hard to say. I can't think of a single actor that really embodies the way I picture Brett. It would have to be someone that has that boy-nextdoor kind of look.


How much of an influence does music have on your writing?

Music is everything when it comes to writing. I use it to inspire me, especially when I'm writing a sad, emotional scene. It really lets me get in that headspace. (Adele especially.)


Do you plan on trying to publish anymore of your Wattpad books or will we be seeing new stuff from you soon?
I don't really have a say in that. If another one of my Wattpad books gets picked up by a publisher, I'd love that! But currently, I'm working on something brand new, offline. I have high hopes for it, so we'll see what happens.




What are the challenges you faced when writing this book?
Editing. This book required SO much editing. The Wattpad version was insanely long and over written (it was THREE times the length of the published version!). I had to take out a bunch of chapters and rewrite whichever ones I decided to keep. It was a lot of work, but I definitely enjoyed it.


How long did it take you to complete The Upside to Falling?
 I wrote TUOF on Wattpad in nine months. After that, the editing process with my editor took another 5 months. So all together, it took me about a year to write it.


Pantser or Plotter? Plantser?
 I am 100% a pantser and I wish wasn't! I'm honestly incapable of sitting down and planning out a book. I have to just write when the inspiration strikes and hope for the best.


Who are some authors that inspired you to do it yourself?
 When I was a tween, my favourite books were anything written by Rachel Hawthorne. Her books made me fall in love with reading. They made me want to start writing and make someone else feel that way. She's definitely a big reason why I became a writer. My current favourite authors are Jennifer Niven, Sally Thorne and Taylor Jenkins Reid.


Who are some Wattpad authors or stories you like?
 My favourite Wattpad stories are 7:23am, Chasing Red, When My Shift Ends, Once Upon A Bathroom Stall, and Hotline. I highly recommend all of those!


What are some things you like to do when you aren’t writing?
 When I'm not writing, I'm either baking, cooking, reading, or somewhere in a book store. I spend a lot of time with my family and pets. I also watch a lot of TV (who doesn't?).


If you could choose three people to invite to a dinner party (real or fictional) who would they be and why?
That's so hard! I would invite Jennifer Niven, who is my favourite author, Emilia Clarke, because she is the mother of dragons and my favourite actress, and Theodore Finch, my favourite fictional character who I want to hug more than anything.






Find Alex Light online:

Buy The Upside of Falling online:




No comments